Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Memorable Dinners

I love food of all kinds; really, I'll eat just about anything.  From time to time I even like McDonald's, yes I'm serious, who doesn't like McDonald's fries?  I mean, they last forever.  ..  Most of the time I base the quality of my food on how much I paid for it, but once in a great while I stumble upon a meal that serves as the basis of comparison for all dinners to come.  This is not to say that I don't remember other meals, just that a few really stand out.  I have two such meals under my belt.  I can't say if it was the just the food that made them memorable or possibly the combination of food, atmosphere, and company.  The first was a business trip to Peru, IN in 2002.  Peru is really a hole in the wall as far as cities go.  I swear that I did not see any wildlife the entire time I was there, and everyone smoked.  I'm not kidding, when the break bell rang at our facility, everyone cleared out for a cigarette.  Some of the locals recommended Grant Street Bar & Grill for dinner.  Two of us had a sort of affinity for salmon so we both ordered their Seared Dill Salmon with Capers.  It was seared perfectly and the dill went very well with it.  We ended up having it two nights in a row.  Since then we've been trying salmon everywhere we go, always in search of the next best fillet.  A few have come close but likely nothing will top that one.  My second dinner standard was in 2006.  It was both the first and last time that I ate at a place in Wausau, WI called Kelly's Martini Bar.  Kelly's was a frequent stop for me on weekends as they often had great live Jazz.  I finally got around to eating there, mostly on a whim.  I was out on a date and we shared a single dinner.  I cannot recall the name of the entree but it amounted to steak and potatoes with some sort of oil and seasoning on it.  Served in a bowl, sliced up in chunks, and a salad on the side.  It was fantastic.  I wish I had eaten there sooner as they stopped offering food shortly thereafter and not much later they closed altogether.  Too bad really, it was one of the best stops in Wausau to date.  What kicked off this blog was my 2009 New Years dinner in NYC.  A couple good friends, a cool winter's night, and wonderful food at a place called Danny Brown Wine Bar and Kitchen.  A small place that you wouldn't guess was so good from the outside.  Great atmosphere inside and they had live jazz kicking away in the background.  Danny's offered a sort of buffet style appetizer bar and then a selection of entrees and desserts.  I won't go into the full list here but you can find it in the photo description.  This was my second opportunity to eat at Danny Brown and I will tell you this, their food is second to none.  The oysters, scallops, filet mignon, and duck were all excellent.  It was one hell of a way to round out 2009 and with any luck, one more memorable dinner to add to the list.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment